Friday, March 25, 2011

One Rockin' Chair!

Every nursery needs that perfect rocking chair and ours is no exception.  Over the course of a few weeks we tested out a few different rocking chairs and fell IN LOVE with this one from Pottery Barn Kids.  It is like sitting on a cloud! I could just imagine rocking Jaedon to sleep..or myself...until I saw the $700 price tag...OUCH!  I guess comfort comes with a price.

Since $700 was about $650 out of budget we kept looking and eventually happened on this one at a yard sale.  The chair was in great condition, very comfortable, no smells, stains or animal hair.  It had one owner who used it for 6 months and was selling because she was moving out of state.  I tried it out and was amazed how cushioned it was and how gentle the glide was.  The ottoman was an added bonus and in perfect condition.  So I asked for the price fully expecting she would want $75, to my amazement she was only asking $25 for both pieces!!!  WHAT A DEAL!


After moving the chair into the nursery, washing all the cushions and parts, and putting it to good use we decided it was time to repurpose our Rocking Chair.  In no time our chair went from this:


To this!  I am not one to use patterns so it took a little time to piece everything together, but I am SO happy with the results.  



I loved the fabric so much we used it to make:

Book Slings

An Owl Pillow

and as the wings on all the owls in the room.

The fabric fits the theme of his room so well.  So thats how we made one ugly chair into one  Rockin' Chair!  Have you repurposed something lately that is Rockin', if so please leave me a comment.

Happy Doodling!
hj

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely, stunningly, amazingly PERFECT. I am a retro-lover so the colors are right up my ally and owls are at the top of my list! Don't feel badly that it took that long my dear. Faith did not get her room painted/decorated until she was eight and neither did Alorah-and Vance's walls are still stark white! I haven't figured out what the heck we are going to do with his room because he isn't into sports or cars or trains or animals either. We are thinking about a red/white/blue stars theme OR space, but it changes constantly and since I don't know if I will lose the house it hasn't been a priority (that and he refuses to EVER sleep in there-sigh). Anyway, 6 months is nothing, we've lived in this house going on 6 years and it's taken me forever...though Vance's room is last.
    What a lucky baby to have such a beautiful place to rest his sweet head!

    ReplyDelete